View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
So over in the Raleigh forum... 
Terrible Person

Post Re: So over in the Raleigh forum...
Der wrote:
I got into a big fight with the late great Beardude over this when someone posted something I thought was out of line in the quotes that used to circulate up top. RIP 'dude. 8-)

c'mon, Deranged…ya gonna leave us hangin' on this story? 8-)

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:35 am
Veteran Starter

I loved Beardude. But my second language is exaggeration, aggrandizement, excess and hyperbole

Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:26 pm
Veteran Starter

Xbox Gamertag: SeeUinHellJohny
This was back in the GW Iraq conflict and the Nick Berg incident: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Berg

I can't remember who it was, but someone put up top in the Famous Quotes "Nick Berg died for the sins of George W. Bush." At this time the Quotes were just a collection of funny stuff we had collected throughout the years, and this was the first to put something very political and divisive up there. I took issue with it and crafted a post asking the creator of the quote to take it down. I did not want it deleted by fiat but rather by the voluntary action of its creator. My rationale was that this was putting something overtly partisan right in front of one's face where they could not voluntarily navigate away from it. I believe the quote was moved to the Raleigh forum where it could still be viewed and discussed by those who chose to do so.

Well that wasn't acceptable for ole 'dude. He RIPPED me (and we had a very friendly relationship) for censorship and being anti-free speech. He got real worked up over it. I still think the circumstances did not merit labeling this whole thing as censorship, though I certainly appreciate his point of view a little more in hindsight. Again though, politics just doesn't belong at the top of the Bears forum so I still feel the quote should have been moved.

This is all over 10 years ago so my recollection might not be 100% on this, but this is how I remember this to the best of my ability.

Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:47 pm
Veteran Backup

Der wrote:

This is all over 10 years ago so my recollection might not be 100% on this, but this is how I remember this to the best of my ability.

Duly noted.

It shall be so recorded by the scribes.

May you suffer pain of hellfire should it be proven to be incorrect...

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:10 pm
All Pro Performer

Damn I miss random quotes.

Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3