View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Anyone else wondering if the Colts could go QB at #3?? 
Veteran Starter

Post Anyone else wondering if the Colts could go QB at #3??
That could change the dynamics of the early first round quite a bit .. could see 3 QBs go in the first 4 picks. Or even 4 if Cleveland trades away their #4 pick.

Pace is gonna need a plan for every possible permutation of the first 7 picks!

Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:57 pm
Veteran Backup

Post Re: Anyone else wondering if the Colts could go QB at #3??
We don't really know. But I've considered that a strong possibility if indeed Luck is damaged goods.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:03 am
Veteran Starter

The_Grizzly_One wrote:
We don't really know. But I've considered that a strong possibility if indeed Luck is damaged goods.

Yeah, exactly, Andrew Luck's shoulder could make a big difference to who the Bears get at 8 .. or how many picks they are able to trade down for.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:39 am
Hall of Fame

I have to think that Barkley is going to go in the Top 4. If not number one to Cleveland than number four. They need as much draw as they can get. I figure they're going a QB and Barkley in one order or the other.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:26 am
Veteran Starter

Yogi da Bear wrote:
I have to think that Barkley is going to go in the Top 4. If not number one to Cleveland than number four. They need as much draw as they can get. I figure they're going a QB and Barkley in one order or the other.

Yes, seems likely to me. But if not then, certainly in the top 7.

So in my mind it's something like this:

Almost certain to go in top 7:
Darnold QB
Rosen QB
Barkley RB
Chubb DE
Fitzpatrick CB/S

At least some chance of going top 7:
Mayfield QB
Lamar Jackson QB (the "team falls in love with upside" scenario)
Orlando Brown OT
Conor Williams OT
McGlinchey OT
NB only one of the OTs is likely to go that high
Derwin James S

.. The thing is that some years there's that one player drafted really high that that one team graded differently to everyone else, like that OL taken by .. was it Washington? a few years back. Brandon Scherff iirc. So you could get Mason Rudolph, for example.

Just so long as Pace picks up someone at least reasonable at OT, CB, edge, and WR, hopefully we can go somewhat-BPA at 8*.

* A trade down where we rob another team blind, yet still get the guy we wanted at 8, is, as always, the preferred option.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:04 am
Franchise Player

Yogi da Bear wrote:

I'd want to see absolutely ELITE measurables to consider taking a RB that high. Anything short of perfection on the measurables and I'd pass...

Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:43 am
All Pro Performer

A couple thoughts here on the QB's being taken in the top 10. One, yes the Colts could be a team taking a QB but they have to absolutely certain Luck is damaged goods and they have to match up with one that will mesh with McDaniels. (Does McDaniels take his brother from us?) Two, is look for Washington to be a player here. I think they swing some sort of trade with Cousins. I figure it will be Denver but could be Cleveland. In any case, Washington would move up into that slot to take a QB. Three, you have teams below (Arizona, Buffalo, and quite possibly LA Chargers) looking to move up.

I also feel that Josh Allen is still in play as a top 10 pick. He played better in his bowl game than both Rosen and Darnold, IMO. Oh, he needs some work but he sure has some Mahomes qualities to him. Baker Mayfield will catch someone's attention also. This draft could go two ways. A QB avalanche at the top or teams play the waiting game. This draft seems more quantity than quality to me. I like last years group more than this years. If I was picking, I might just take Josh Allen first.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:19 am
All Pro Performer

hoog wrote:
A couple thoughts here on the QB's being taken in the top 10. One, yes the Colts could be a team taking a QB but they have to absolutely certain Luck is damaged goods and they have to match up with one that will mesh with McDaniels. (Does McDaniels take his brother from us?) Two, is look for Washington to be a player here. I think they swing some sort of trade with Cousins. I figure it will be Denver but could be Cleveland. In any case, Washington would move up into that slot to take a QB. Three, you have teams below (Arizona, Buffalo, and quite possibly LA Chargers) looking to move up.

I also feel that Josh Allen is still in play as a top 10 pick. He played better in his bowl game than both Rosen and Darnold, IMO. Oh, he needs some work but he sure has some Mahomes qualities to him. Baker Mayfield will catch someone's attention also. This draft could go two ways. A QB avalanche at the top or teams play the waiting game. This draft seems more quantity than quality to me. I like last years group more than this years. If I was picking, I might just take Josh Allen first.

Good analysis. I can't see the Cards trading up tho...maybe they'll be in play for Cousins too? Over Thanksgiving I said to my nephew (who's a huge Cards fan)...when the Giants game was on "that's probably the Cards QB next year..." talking about Eli...he just shook his head and said geezus...sounds like the Cards. lol

Agree with you on Josh Allen...not sure why he didn't have a much better year this year...but the talent is there.

For such a hyped QB class...there sure seems to be an awful lot of turds. Hell...in the right system...I think Luke Falk will be as good as any of them. Needs to hit the weights and put on some lbs tho.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:01 am
Terrible Person

Luck's an interesting case bc he is behind in progress for his recovery…although, they are being very guarded about the procedure

shoulder surgery is very dicey…most guys that have been out as long as he has, never recover full arm strength, which means they can't drive the ball outside the hashes…DCs and corners quickly find that out and plot coverage accordingly…it also makes the play caller alter their patterns and play designs…if it's McDaniels though, he knows a lot of ways to free receivers up from bunched formations, pic, crossing and seam routes, which don't put as much strain on the arm

he doesn't start lobbing the ball until sometime in Jan. so it's unclear whether he will be throwing with full velocity by draft time…he said he plans on full participation in the off season schedule, but they have already missed benchmarks

Ballard got a decent young QB in Brissett in case Luck hits a snag…he might take another QB, but i think it would be a guy later on like Wanne's boy Falk—a value pick as a hedge. He really should auction his #1 to hasten rebuilding around Luck esp on the lines. If Luck is done, Ballard will have another high pick in later drafts.

Last edited by Gibron on Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:12 am
Hall of Fame

I'd be surprised if McDaniels would accept a job in Indianapolis without some assurance that Luck will be ready to go. Granted, he has a history with Brissett, but Luck is the prize - if he's 100%, or close to it, that's a HUGE plus.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next