View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
5 Bears offseason moves (from ESPN) 
Franchise Player

Post 5 Bears offseason moves (from ESPN)
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/BarnwellxFiveNFCMoves2018/five-moves-nfc-team-make-2018-nfl-offseason-trades-free-agency-cuts-bill-barnwell

1. Cut Mike Glennon and a few others. Well, that didn't work. The Bears will save $13.5 million by releasing Glennon, and they could free up an additional $13.5 million by moving on from cornerback Marcus Cooper, linebacker Jerrell Freeman and wideout Markus Wheaton, which would get them to about $66 million in cap space.

2. Re-sign Kyle Fuller. After struggling so much, the Bears declined his fifth-year option heading into 2017 and signed a pair of veteran cornerbacks in Cooper and Prince Amukamara to replace him, Fuller suddenly broke out and lived up to his status as a former first-round pick last season. Fuller and Amukamara were a competent cornerback duo, but both are unrestricted free agents; nickel corner Bryce Callahan is a restricted free agent.

The Bears could choose to bring back Amukamara, 28, who seemed destined to bounce around the league as a useful cornerback on a series of one-year deals, but it makes more sense that they would commit to Fuller. I've seen speculation that Fuller might end up joining his brother in Kansas City, but the Chiefs don't really have the cap room to really make a significant offer to Fuller. The Bears can afford to sign Fuller, so while they weren't expecting this breakout 12 months ago, they might as well take advantage of it and bring Fuller back.

3. Decline the fifth-year option on Kevin White, but re-sign Cameron Meredith. White is officially a total mystery at this point of his career -- the West Virginia product has played just five games through three pro seasons because of injuries. To put this in context, the last top-10 draft pick to play no more than five games over the first three professional seasons of his career was Packers quarterback Rich Campbell, who was taken with the eighth overall pick in the 1981 draft and threw four interceptions in his first and only start as a rookie. He didn't see the field for three more years and finished with nine career picks on 68 pass attempts.

The Bears will decline White's fifth-year option and hope to get something out of him in his final year under contract. They'll also bring back Meredith, a restricted free agent who missed the entire 2017 season with a torn ACL. With everyone else on their wideout depth chart a free agent (assuming they cut Wheaton), the Bears probably will have to make an addition at wide receiver ...

4. Sign Jarvis Landry. We often think of tight ends as safety valves for young quarterbacks, and indeed, the Bears are going to hope that Adam Shaheen develops into a useful weapon for Mitchell Trubisky. Another way is to give him a slot receiver capable of creating easy completions and making guys miss after the catch. Landry is more than a slot target given his ability to make plays in the red zone, so while his touchdown rate from 2017 (nine on 112 catches) is out of line with the rest of his career (13 on 288 catches), the Bears have both the need at receiver and the cap space to justify an outlay of more than $10 million per season on Landry.

Elsewhere, the Bears could look toward Allen Robinson (Jacksonville) or Sammy Watkins (Rams) if either slips past the franchise tag. The unexciting option would be for new head coach Matt Nagy to look back to Kansas City and sign Albert Wilson, who had a big Week 17 with Patrick Mahomes but hasn't exactly struck fear into the hearts of Chiefs opponents as a starting wideout.

5. Add Muhammad Wilkerson. Although not technically a free agent, Wilkerson is expected to hit the market this offseason when the Jets cut their former first-round pick to shed his $20 million cap hit, which would be the largest for any defensive end in football. Wilkerson has been wildly disappointing over the past two seasons since signing the deal, and nobody's going to pay him that much.

On a lesser deal, though? There are plenty of teams that could use a defensive lineman with Wilkerson's track record of getting after the quarterback from the interior, and the Bears' front seven would look terrifying with a rejuvenated Wilkerson in the fold. They already have a pair of standouts up front in Akiem Hicks and Eddie Goldman, with Wilkerson slotting in ahead of 2016 third-rounder Jonathan Bullard and taking Mitch Unrein's spot in the rotation. If the Bears can get Wilkerson on a one-year, prove-it deal, he could represent a massive upgrade without much risk.

Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:41 am
Terrible Person

Post Re: 5 Bears offseason moves (from ESPN)
after reading a Peter King, Hub Arkush, Jason La Canfora…Barnwell seems like a football genius…thanks for posting

some sensible thoughts there, although i am wary of overpaying Fuller with his injury history

i wonder how Wilkerson's ankle healed? didn't see him play last year, but he seems to have a shaky attitude about showing up for things on time

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:05 am
Carlos Danger

Roster Cuts
They have $34MM right now. Then cut:
Jerrell Freeman ($3.5 in additional cap room)
McPhee ($7.1)
Markus Wheaton ($5.0)
Mike Glennon ($11.5)
Marcus Cooper ($4.5)
Quentin Demps ($3.7)
Willie Young ($4.5)
and you're at $73.8MM in space and that's with keeping Sims ($5.7) and Sitton ($8.0). If you choose, you can sign anyone who will hit the open market. I'd also look to extend Goldman.
*My salary cap figures are from overthecap.com and seem to differ slightly from ESPN.

Defensive Front Four
I'm actually a Jonathan Bullard Believer - but I would love to add one more ass kicker up front, be it Wilkerson or even Sheldon Richardson who is a free agent. A rotation of Hicks, Wilkerson/Richardson, Goldman and Bullard ... with Floyd and a either a high pick rookie or high priced FA coming off the edge is really enticing - especially for a DC like Fangio who generally doesn't like to blitz.

Wide Receiver
Unlike most, I won't be disappointed if they add Jarvis Landry - he's probably the most competent/healthiest WR available and although he has a Bobby Engram like YPC (worse actually), I think that is the product of the offense/his role. He's got a really strong catch rate (70%) and I think that is very important for a young QB to know that if he throws it to a player, that player will actually catch it. Allen Robinson would probably be my #1 pick, but can Pace afford to have both of his starting WRs coming off ACLs? Now the good news is that both players blew the knee early (Meredith in Week 3 of the preseason and Robinson in Week 1 of the regular season) so they should be ready for training camp at a minimum. I'd like to draft a WR in the second round, but NOT in the first. James Washington of Okie State and DJ Moore of Maryland are my favorites.

Cornerback
If they sign Fuller to big bucks or tag him, they'll probably go CB early in the draft as I'm not sure how much $$ they can sink into both corner spots. I'm all in on Josh Jackson of Iowa, even more than Minkah Fitzpatrick - he's a the perfect fit for the scheme. I would take him at 8, but would adore him at 12.

And please don't bitch about the money spent anywhere - the Bears will have a Gazillion Dollars in cap space. We've been so proud of our cap space every year yet we never win any games.

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:46 am
Pro Bowl Player

How much is White's 5th year going to cost? I did some looking and all I could find was a 4 year $16 million contract with a 5th year option. I found all the detail about the first 4 years but cant' find a number for year 5.

Is it a ton? I don't see the need to not pick it up given the cap space we have. What if he pulls a Fuller and finally puts it together?!?!?!? I'm not saying we don't go out and sign someone and/or draft another guy but I think we need to pick up the final year.

Sign Meredtih, pick up White's 5th year, resign Wright on a 2 year deal that won't cost that much, sign on of the various FA WR that have been talked about (not sure who is the best for the team and let Pace / Nagy figure that out, it is after all their job) and draft a WR in the second round (or third if we trade back and get a 3rd round pick) - Kirk, Calloway, Washington, Pettis, there is a long list to look at. I think that give us a decent group going into '18 and possibly '19.

Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:40 am
Carlos Danger

nfl.com wrote:
While all rookies are required to sign four-year deals out of the draft, teams have the option to pick up a fifth-year option on first-round picks. In that case, the fifth year's salary is guaranteed for injury when employed. For the 2015 draft class, that fifth season will be 2019.

The fifth-year salary varies depending on how high the player was drafted. The top 10 selections receive a salary equal to the average of the 10 highest salaries at their position. For the remainder of the first round, the wage is the average of the third through 25th highest salaries at the position

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:08 pm
Terrible Person

they're clearly in the Fuller situation with White

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:40 pm
Veteran Starter

Some people think the lack of picking up the option motivated Fuller....

I say decline it and put some pressure on this kid.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:10 am
All Pro Performer

Pretty funny that basically every major FA move Pace has made thus far is a potential/likely roster cut.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:22 am
All Pro Performer

Burl wrote:
Pretty funny that basically every major FA move Pace has made thus far is a potential/likely roster cut.

Yea, but the other "good" side of this is hasn't committed a bunch of money to any of them either so he can afford to cut them. This year is going to be different, as I think he is going to go big or go home. He absolutely has to hit this year or we will surely suffer down the road.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:28 am
Veteran Backup

Yea, these have been low risk chances. Hicks, Sitton, and Trevathon have been nice additions.

Win some, lose some. Not an exact science.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next