View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Lost in the Trubisky mania 
Terrible Person

Post Re: Lost in the Trubisky mania
god forbid i read too much into Cutler's remark, but it was made after the team let him go...which i don't believe he felt that bitter about since he was leaving a losing organization with a fat bank account

he clearly advised against playing the kid too soon

but he is playing...bc of Pace's mistakes...so Pace's plan got scrapped much earlier than the Eager Beaver intended

so now u want to ruin the kid's confidence giving him a whole playbook, having him challenge defenses down the field with receivers that can't contest for the ball?

that is a recipe for more turnovers when they lead the league in turnover differential...more 3 and outs, so he's essentially off the field and the D is in worse shape field position-wise...longer down and distance situations...earlier in games, he gets behind and has to take even more risks to catch up causing even more pass rush pressure and more turnovers

my preference is to nurture not overwhelm him...i don't think that's coddling just tailoring the offense to what he does best and what his teammates can do, avoiding what they can't do...isn't that what coaching is all about?

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:01 pm
All Pro Performer

Gibron wrote:
god forbid i read too much into Cutler's remark, but it was made after the team let him go...which i don't believe he felt that bitter about since he was leaving a losing organization with a fat bank account

but he is playing...bc of Pace's mistakes...so Pace's plan got scrapped much earlier than the Eager Beaver intended

so now u want to ruin the kid's confidence giving him a whole playbook, having him challenge defenses down the field with receivers that can't contest for the ball?

that is a recipe for more turnovers when they lead the league in turnover differential...more 3 and outs, so he's essentially off the field and the D is in worse shape field position-wise...longer down and distance situations...earlier in games, he gets behind and has to take even more risks to catch up causing even more pass rush pressure and more turnovers

my preference is to nurture not overwhelm him...i don't think that's coddling just tailoring the offense to what he does best and what his teammates can do, avoiding what they can't do...isn't that what coaching is all about?

Kid's confidence looks fine.... Hell...Glennon was supposed to be seasoned...and he looked like a deer in the headlights. I haven't seen one thing that tells me this moment is too big for Trubisky. He gets it...I think better than most. i wouldn't agree with playing him if I didn't think he couldn't handle it...but I haven't seen one thing that tells me he can't. Actually...it's kind of late for "coddling" him...he's the starter now. The question should be now.... if he starts to get overwhelmed and regress...do you yank him? (and would that fuck up his confidence moreso). Sorry...it's past the point of no return now...so the opinions of "I'd sit him"...honestly don't mean much now since it's after the fact and he's the starter until proven otherwise.

Also...lose the "god forbid I read" martyr crap...seriously. I respect your opinion enough that I can disagree with it without getting the "Sensative Sally" routine...c'mon.

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:30 pm
Terrible Person

Wanne wrote:
Gibron wrote:

Kid's confidence looks fine.... Hell...Glennon was supposed to be seasoned...and he looked like a deer in the headlights. I haven't seen one thing that tells me this moment is too big for Trubisky. He gets it...I think better than most. i wouldn't agree with playing him if I didn't think he couldn't handle it...but I haven't seen one thing that tells me he can't. Actually...it's kind of late for "coddling" him...he's the starter now. The question should be now.... if he starts to get overwhelmed and regress...do you yank him? (and would that fuck up his confidence moreso). Sorry...it's past the point of no return now...so the opinions of "I'd sit him"...honestly don't mean much now since it's after the fact and he's the starter until proven otherwise.

Also...lose the "god forbid I read" martyr crap...seriously. I respect your opinion enough that I can disagree with it without getting the "Sensative Sally" routine...c'mon.

kid's confidence appeared good at the beginning of the game..but confidence either builds or it diminishes depending on results

you played baseball...did u feel more confident after you went 2 for 3 or after u went 0 for 4 with 2 strikeouts?

Glennon was actually very rusty and not that well-schooled in the O...so his confidence took a quick hit and his play downspiraled...and he had a lot more starts than Trubisky has had at both levels

i am FINE with playing Trubisky bc i don't believe our OL is that bad....i just believe in a conservative approach this season until he gets more experienced and they get better receivers around him

it will be a test of his resilience, which they need to find out about

the god forbid was sarcastic and wasn't directed at you, Wanne, so relax 8-)

Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:09 pm
All Pro Performer

Gibron wrote:
you played baseball...did u feel more confident after you went 2 for 3 or after u went 0 for 4 with 2 strikeouts?

I didn't stress 0 for 4 games...they happen. Depends on what you did with the other two at bats that weren't Ks. Now if I was in a 0 for 20 slump...that's another story. I usually found it was closing my face and using too much "one eye" if that makes sense...instead of complete facing the release point. But that's neither here nor there lol...

Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:06 am
Franchise Player

Wanne used his "one eye" too much in high school...didn't we all?l

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:24 am
Hall of Fame

I don't think Trubisky is necessarily "ready" - this isn't an ideal situation for him - no wide receivers, mediocre OC, a team that doesn't know how to win, not having a QB-friendly/centric head coach, etc. DeShaun Watson has, in addition to far more experience, everything that Mitch doesn't - very good receivers, a QB-centric head coach and a winning organization (although it remains to be seen if they win more than they lose this year).

All of that being said, so long as the Bears don't make the mistake that Hue Jackson is making with Kizer - i.e. benching him after naming him the starter - and they focus on Mitch getting incrementally better, win or lose, then I think he'll be fine. He's going to take his lumps - I think at least 2 INT's against a veteran Raven secondary that, if I'm not mistaken, already has several interceptions this - and there isn't a go to pass catcher on the roster - but he seems pretty calm and, from what we've read, is a tireless worker.

I think his numbers will fall well short of Watson's...closer to Jared Goff than Carson Wentz...but the reps will be valuable when he, like Goff this year, plays for an offensive minded/QB centric head coach in 2018

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:06 am
Pro Bowl Player

Quote:
GiBrOn: Glennon was actually very rusty and not that well-schooled in the O...so his confidence took a quick hit and his play downspiraled...and he had a lot more starts than Trubisky has had at both levels

Can you use the "rusty" excuse for Glennon's lack of pocket awareness, slowness of foot, staring down receivers and piss-poor accuracy in stress situations? If Glennon was not well-schooled by now then he has flunked. Trubisky has very little of these, and will improve over time but he needs the game time. At the very least it is much more entertaining seeing Trubisky play than the Longneck statue.

Instead of tailoring a safe game plan, how about tailoring a game plan that plays to his strengths? Move the pocket around (and not just right), utilize the whole field scanning for receivers, let him improvise occasionally and have more quick passes to RB's and TE's to get the defense out of stacking the box.

Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:01 pm
Terrible Person

SpudBear wrote:
Quote:
GiBrOn: Glennon was actually very rusty and not that well-schooled in the O...so his confidence took a quick hit and his play downspiraled...and he had a lot more starts than Trubisky has had at both levels

Can you use the "rusty" excuse for Glennon's lack of pocket awareness, slowness of foot, staring down receivers and piss-poor accuracy in stress situations? If Glennon was not well-schooled by now then he has flunked. Trubisky has very little of these, and will improve over time but he needs the game time. At the very least it is much more entertaining seeing Trubisky play than the Longneck statue.

Instead of tailoring a safe game plan, how about tailoring a game plan that plays to his strengths? Move the pocket around (and not just right), utilize the whole field scanning for receivers, let him improvise occasionally and have more quick passes to RB's and TE's to get the defense out of stacking the box.

it wasn't meant as a comprehensive statement about Glennon's deficiencies--i have mentioned his slowness afoot and releasing the ball several times--everyone could see that except Pace and his "very good" PP dept...

only meant that he hadn't started in over 2 seasons, then came here and had to learn a new system with a CBA that doesn't allow as much PT...his top 2 WRs quickly went down...he was doomed from the start and he became a turnover machine which somewhat surprised me...i thought he would take care of the ball better

no question Trubisky has a lot more talent...quicker release, much more mobile...his problem is lack of total PT since HS...ideally, he would have sat a year on a good team, but now he's been forced on the field bc they want to see what he's got and assess the O under him

i agree with your basic game plan although i would run the ball more if Howard's shoulder can hold up...what u outlined is a conservative game plan...but teams will also try to keep him in the pocket then collapse it so he can't buy more time...if he starts sneaking through cracks, they might spy him...bottom line is they don't want him extending plays

Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:37 pm
Hall of Fame

Gibron wrote:
dplank wrote:
...was Tre McBride. He actually got open a few times and made plays! He just got here but appears to be better than Thompson/Bellamy already, he might actually be decent once he settles in with this offense. Has some nice speed too.

Wheaton is becoming a guy I can't stand, he needs to step up soon. His holding call cost us that game, even if it was a shit ticky tack call, it was close enough to be called and boy did it cost us. He's also had several drops already. Not a fan.

he made a nice catch, but went hands to the facemark

like most, i watched Trubisky every play not the receivers running routes...so i don't have any opinion about his route running...

since he is weak in the play book, reckon they brought him up instead of Gentry bc he might have some better downfield speed and a bit more pro experience once he gets the system down

Thompson and Bellamy aren't NFL caliber receivers, so why not?

i am very surprised Dan Brown isn't in the mix...he looked good as a receiving TE for us last season

a couple things about Wheaton...first, he's getting into playing shape having missed time in his first year here...also, he is diminutive so he is strictly a speed/finesse player...he's better off in a supportive role where he isn't being focused on by a top corner that can manhandle him...

on most pass plays, the TE isn't the first read, but imo they need to involve them much more in the passing game...Miller, Brown, + the rook...Sims has erratic hands and is mostly a blocking TE

i think we will see Gentry eventually bc the Bears' WRs don't have much size and ability to compete for the ball

On Marcus Wheaton: I think that the pinky must be bothering more than anybody's let on. I've seen him a lot and never seen him drop passes like he has. He's much more dependable than what he's shown. The holding call was a horrible call but to be expected. In no way did Wheaton impinge the defender's progress, but it was still crappy technique. You simply can't let your hands get outside the defender's body like that. The refs will call that every time unless you happen to play for Green Bay or New England.

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:08 pm
Terrible Person

Yogi da Bear wrote:

On Marcus Wheaton: I think that the pinky must be bothering more than anybody's let on. I've seen him a lot and never seen him drop passes like he has. He's much more dependable than what he's shown. The holding call was a horrible call but to be expected. In no way did Wheaton impinge the defender's progress, but it was still crappy technique. You simply can't let your hands get outside the defender's body like that. The refs will call that every time unless you happen to play for Green Bay or New England.

that was a very ticky holding call...worse than the Whitehair penalty...yeah, both guys could have let go earlier but i didn't think it flagrantly affected the play...Wheaton has to be used creatively bc he isn't strong enough to deal with physical corners...but we need his deep speed to stretch the field on occasion...i'm hoping Gentry gets a shot on some deep balls...he's not a blazer but he has good ability to track, adjust and go up for balls with his size...they MUST make some plays down the field bc defenses are playing them very tight which makes it difficult for everyone else...although, i want a conservative game plan this week, i hope they take some real deep PA shots if near midfield to keep them honest--even if picked off they are like punts

this scheme is tough on a center bc they have a lot of pivoting and sliding reach blocks on big men...so Whitehair is going to get some laundry from time to time...he's a real good OL though...needs to clean up his snapping...make the good snap even if it means being a split second slower into his blocks...but lord i am happy to have Trubisky back there adjusting to bad snaps...his hand eye is a lot better than Glennon's...that dude did everything in slow motion...lol

Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2